Every day, a huge number of patents are filed for new technologies. If you have ever wondered which field of technology is developing at a faster rate than any other, then LexisNexis® Cipher has the answer for you. Our report on a global view of innovation used our unique Universal Technology Taxonomy to provide a breakdown of the world’s inventions and activity into individual technology sectors.
What our Global Innovation report identifies
- The technology sectors that patents are assigned to
- Growth in technology areas
- The top owners of high-growth technological inventions
We estimate that there are close to 25 million protected inventions registered in territories across the world. If we exclude inventions that are registered in China only then the number drops to 7.9 million. Please see the full report for further details.
Cipher’s Universal Technology Taxonomy
Cipher’s unique Universal Technology Taxonomy (UTT) takes millions of assets and sorts them into:
- 10 Technology Superclasses
- 122 Technology Sub-classes
The UTT supports data exploration to answer patent search questions. It also demonstrates a range of intelligence for benchmarking, competitor analysis and investment activity.
With relative ease, the UTT can figure out the innovation leaders and laggards in particular area of technology, such as sustainable development.
Learn more about the Universal Technology Taxonomy.
- Telecommunications and life sciences show inflection points by having the highest relative growth in the share of activity (for 2022 date vs 2021).
- Wireless networks and cleaning technologies are driving the growth in these two areas.
“With improvements in AI technology and other analytics platforms like Cipher, today we are able to understand the numbers of patents that are relevant to certain technology areas at a push of a button.”
Inventions which have patents granted or pending
Mechanical was the area of technology where the most patents were granted or are pending.
View or download the report to:
- See the share of inventions a particular technology area has
- Learn which invention areas are showing the most growth