10 millionth patent contestWill you be the first to guess the date it is issued?
Win a $200 American Express® Gift Card*
THE CONTEST HAS NOW ENDED, AND THE WINNER WILL BE NOTIFIED. TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE 10 MILLIONTH PATENT READ THE USPTO BLOG POST CELEBRATING AMERICAN INNOVATION HERE.
Sometime this year, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) will issue the 10 millionth U.S. utility patent. This is a significant milestone and we want to help celebrate the innovation it represents.
LexisNexis IP (under Reed Technology and Information Services, Inc.) has been working with the USPTO since 1969 when the office began to envision using computer technology in support of the patent publishing process. Our company won the contract to develop and operate a system to perform this work. Since 1970, we have electronically captured and prepared for publication nearly 65% of all patents granted in the history of the United States.
USPTO Director Andrei Lancu spoke these inspiring words at the unveiling of a brand new patent cover design to mark the 10 millionth patent:
“Our patents incentivize and protect these remarkable advances in the human condition, and our patents are an indelible record of these human achievements, forever new, forever urging us ahead. Yet unlike the inventions that it covers, the design of the U.S. patent has changed only once over the last 100 years. And now, in 2018, with the issuance of our 10 millionth patent, it will be the second time.”
“Our new cover, through design, typography, and printing, is a forward-looking, contemporary take on the significance of what the document represents, with a particular emphasis on the value of a patent and its role in the future of our economic and cultural growth.”
“Just imagine the inventions this new cover will document: new compounds that treat disease, new processes that alleviate thirst and hunger, new machines that take humans to other planets, new devices that can think and create on their own. And, it will document science and technology that we cannot even contemplate today.”
When will the 10 millionth patent be issued and what will it be?
Here is your opportunity to engage with patent history and guess the date!
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Legal residents of the 50 United States. 21 years or older. One entry per person. One winner will receive (1) $200 American Express® gift card. Contest dates: April 30, 2018 to date that 10 millionth patent issues. Must have valid work email. Must be first person to correctly submit date. For complete contest rules, visit https://www.lexisnexisip.com/patent-10-million/
Official Contest Rules for Patent 10 Million Contest
- To Enter: Complete the entry form with a valid work email address for a chance to qualify between April 30, 2018 and the date on which the 10 millionth U.S. patent issues. Free email accounts such as Gmail or Yahoo entries will not be considered valid.
- Prize: One winner will receive (1) $200 American Express® card.
- You must be 21 years of age or older to win. No purchase necessary.
- Eligibility: To qualify, you must be the first person to submit the correct guess for the actual date that the 10 millionth patent issues. Only one entry per person. You must be 21 years of age or older to win. No purchase necessary. The contest is open to everyone who is a legal resident of all 50 states, with the exception of employees of Reed Technology and Information Services, Inc., and its parent and affiliate companies, their families, agencies and representatives or employees of the USPTO, their families and affiliates.
- By participating, all entrants acknowledge and agree that they have entered the contest of their own free will, that the full rules and details of the contest have been made available to them in writing and they therefore understand and agree that neither Reed Technology and Information Services, Inc., nor its parent and affiliate companies, their agents, affiliates, sponsors, representatives or employees have any liability with respect to any damages out of acceptance and use of a prize. By entering this promotion, participants agree to be bound by these rules.
- Selection of Winner: The winner will be selected on the date that the patent issues by reviewing the time stamp of submitted entries and selecting the entry which was the first to correctly guess the date. Winner will be notified at winner’s email address within 10 days of when the 10 millionth patent is published. In the event that the winner does not claim their prize within 60 days, the next correct entry winner will be notified until the prize is claimed.
- Terms & Conditions: Reed Tech reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond LexisNexis IP’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, Reed Tech may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Reed Tech. Reed Tech reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions Reed Tech has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, LexisNexis IP reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless Reed Tech and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
- Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests must be received by June 30, 2019.
- Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is LexisNexis IP, 7 Walnut Grove Drive, Horsham, PA 19044.
- Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of LexisNexis IP as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
- Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on April 30, 2018 at 9:00 AM EST and ending when the 10 millionth patent issues.
- How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at https://www.lexisnexisip.com/patent-10-million The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of LexisNexis IP. You may enter only once. You must provide the information requested.
- The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive a $200 American Express gift card. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted.
- Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Featured Resources & Events
What Color is Your Examiner - Red, Yellow or Green? Webinar
Join us on Thursday, April 19 at 12PM ET for a free webinar on how to customize your prosecution strategies for the best chance for having your patents issue more quickly.
On-Demand Webinar: Drafting Quality Patents
Best practices for filing a robust application to avoid 112 rejections and associated problems are discussed in this on-demand webinar.
How to Streamline Your Patent Search Process
Thanks to modern patent search tools, “efficient” and “patent search” now go hand-in-hand.